Lakpura Travels (Pvt) Ltd
Muthurajawela Sanctuary Bird Watching tour from Colombo
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- Fully narrated tour
- Led by a local guide
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
This tour gives you the chance to go bird watching in the famous Muthurajawela Sanctuary in Negombo. Hike through the marshy wetlands of Muthurajawela. Get to see many endemic and migrant birds in their natural habitats. Go on a relaxing boat ride in the lagoon while watching out for more birds and wildlife. The tour is a great opportunity for avid bird watchers.
What to Expect
Your tour will start at 0630 hrs from your hotel in Colombo when your guide picks you up. It takes about approximately a hour to get to Muthurajawela which lies in Negombo. Enroute you may have your packed breakfast which is including in your package. You will get to the marshes by 0730 hrs.
The wetlands of Muthurajawela Bird Sanctuary sprawls over 6230 hectares on the western coastline of Sri Lanka. Over 200 years ago the area was prime agricultural land, which produced the beautiful pearl like rice that was served to the kings of the Kotte Kingdom south of the area. However the building of the Dutch canals are believed to have caused salt water seepage in the fields, rendering them unusable. Once the fields were abandoned, nature took over and with the passing of time it became populated with the highly bio diverse ecology of the coastal wetlands that it is now. Muthurajawela is listed as one of the 12 high priority wetlands in Sri Lanka with the area having nearly 200 species of flora, 102 species of birds, 40 species of fish, 14 species of reptiles, and over 20 species of mammals. There are also almost 50 species of butterflies in the sanctuary.
You will be hiking through the wilderness for some time. Your professional bird guide will help you with identifying any birds you see. You may get a glimpse of Little Green Herons, Black-crowned Night Herons, Indian Cormorants, Eurasian Curlew, Shikras, White-bellied Sea-eagles and many others. You will also be going on a two hour boat ride on the lagoon, where you will be able to see more birds such as waders or water birds.
You will be exploring and spending approximately three hours at the bird sanctury and your tour of the Muthurajawela Sanctuary will be finishing at 1030 hrs. Your vehicle will drop you off at your hotel between 1130 hrs to 1200 hrs marking the end of your tour.
Comfortable walking shoes recommended for this tour. Drive time may change due to unpredictable road traffic. Photography stops on the way can be arranged but within locations with reasonable parking areas.
- Transport throughout the tour with an air-conditioned vehicle.
- Service of an English-Speaking Chauffer Guide.
- 1 Liter of Bottled Mineral Water Per Person.
- Hotel Pick & Drop.
- All Taxes & Service Charges.
- Entrance Fees.
- Food or Drinks.
- Gratuities (Optional).
- Expenses of Personal Nature.
Cancellation PolicyCancellation must be in writing and sent by you/your travel agent who made the booking. Cancellations take effect from the date the written notice is received. No refund in full or in part will be given for unutilized services in the package(s) once you commence using the product or service.
- Up to 14 days before the Activity-Date – Fixed processing fee of USD 30.00 and the balance will be refunded. In case of a refund to be made via an international bank transfer, all bank fees to be borne by the guest. A refund to the credit card is subject to above processing fee only.
- Less than 14 days and in case of “No Show” – No Refunds.
- No refunds will be entertained under whatsoever condition once the guest arrives in Sri Lanka.
- We reserve the right to cancel your holiday because of unforeseen circumstances.