Lakpura Travels (Pvt) Ltd
Yapahuwa, Dambadeniya and Panduwasnuwara from Colombo
- Visit the old Temple of the Tooth Relic and Royal Palace Complex in Dambadeniya
- See the elaborate rock fortress of Yapahuwa
- View the many ruins from different eras in Panduwasnuwara
This tour allows you to visit three ancient kingdoms of Sri Lanka, located in the Northwestern Province. Get to see the royal palace complex of Dambadeniya. Visit the beautiful rock fortress of Yapahuwa. See the old city of Panduwasnuwara with its ruins spanning a period of over two millennia.
What You Can Expect
You will be starting your tour at 0600 hrs when you get picked up from your hotel in Colombo. You will be taking two hours to travel to your first destination, Dambadeniya. It is recommended that you bring a packed breakfast with you to eat on the way.
The kingdom of Dambadeniya was at its peak during the mid-thirteenth century, especially during the reign of King Parakramabahu II. He was a peaceful king who brought Sinhalese literature to new heights with his epic poetic masterpieces ‘Kavisilumina’ and ‘Visuddi Marga Sannasa’. You will get to see the recently excavated remains of the old Temple of the Tooth, where the Tooth Relic was housed previously, and the ruins of the royal palace complex with its gardens, walls and moats.
You will leave for Yapahuwa at 0900 hrs. You will get there by 1030 hrs. Yapahuwa was the capital of Sri Lanka right after Dambadeniya, when the Dravidians invaded. The fortress was built on a giant rock in the style of the Sigiriya rock fortress. However, the architecture of this fortress is completely different from Sigiriya with wide staircases, beautiful stone sculptures and highly detailed carvings on pillars. On your visit you will be able to climb to the fortress and view the ruins of the stupa on the summit of the rock. The stupa has some notable statues and imagery from the Kandyan era that you can peruse. You will be spending a couple of hours at Yapahuwa.
After this you can spend some time having lunch at one of the good restaurants in the area (At your own expense), according to your choice. The drive to your final destination, Panduwasnuwara, will take up to an hour and a half. The ancient city was one of the first kingdoms of Sri Lanka, having been the capital during the 5th century BC. The site was used much later in the 12th century as well, resulting in a mix of ruins from various periods. The ruins are spread over an area of almost 12 hectares. Some of the most notable sights are the recently restored monument that was the two storied former Temple of the Tooth, ruins of the royal palace and the artificial reservoir Panda Wewa that is considered one of the earliest irrigation systems ever made by man. You will also be visiting the museum of Panduwasnuwara, which has many archeological finds from excavations in the area. You will be spending an hour and a half in Panduwasnuwara. You will be finished the tour approximately by 1700 hrs. You will get back at 1930 hrs completing your tour.
Comfortable walking shoes recommended for this tour. Drive time may change due to unpredictable road traffic. Photography stops on the way can be arranged but within locations with reasonable parking areas.
- Transport throughout the tour with an air-conditioned vehicle
- Service of an English-Speaking Chauffer
- Lunch at a local restaurant
- Entrance Fees (Dambadeniya, Yapahuwa)
- 1 Liter of Bottled Mineral Water Per Person
- Hotel Pick & Drop
- All Taxes & Service Charges
- Food or Drinks (where not specified)
- Gratuities (Optional)
- Expenses of Personal Nature
Cancellation, No Show and Refund Policy
Cancellation must be in writing and sent by you/your travel agent who made the booking. Cancellations take effect from the date the written notice is received. No refund in full or in part will be given for unutilized services in the package(s) once you commence using the product or service.
- Up to 14 days before the Activity-Date – Fixed processing fee of USD 30.00 and the balance will be refunded. In case of a refund to be made via an international bank transfer, all bank fees to be borne by the guest. A refund to the credit card is subject to above processing fee only.
- Less than 14 days and in case of “No Show” – No Refunds.
- No refunds will be entertained under whatsoever condition once the guest arrives in Sri Lanka.
- We reserve the right to cancel your holiday because of unforeseen circumstances.