Lakpura Travels (Pvt) Ltd
Sigiriya Rock and Dambulla Cave from Colombo
- A full-day private tour of Sigiriya Rock and Dambulla Cave temple
- Enjoy in-depth attention and personalized commentary from a private guide
- See traditional villages and lush countryside on a drive into Sri Lanka’s interior
- Visit the UNESCO-listed Dambulla Cave Temple, a series of monastery caves on a stone cliff
- See the Buddha statues and elaborate frescoes that fill the 1st-century caves
- Marvel at UNESCO-protected Sigiriya, a ruined fortress on a colossal rock
- Climb up to witness the frescoes, relics and awe-inspiring views
Explore two of Sri Lanka’s UNESCO-listed highlights on a privately guided day trip to Dambulla and the Sigiriya Rock from Colombo. View Sri Lanka’s countryside and villages as you journey to the atmospheric Dambulla Cave Temple, a cliffside cave complex packed with Buddha images and frescoes. Explore the caverns and after lunch (own expense) continue to Sigiriya, a spectacular, ruined 5th-century royal fortress atop a gigantic rock outcrop. Climb the stairs up, passing the rock murals on the way, and marvel at the ruins and 360-degree views from the top.
What to Expect
Your private Sri Lankan history adventure begins at 6am, when your friendly local guide will pick you up from your hotel in Colombo. Enjoy the scenery or nap in the car on the way to Dambulla, where you arrive at the famous Dambulla Cave Temple around 11 am. Here you will see ancient Buddha statutes and elaborate alfrescoes in caves that date back to the 1st-century. A UNESCO-listed World Heritage site, the temple also has a museum, which you will have the chance to visit.
After wandering the site you’ll have time to look for lunch nearby before taking off for Sigiriya, one of the most important archaeological sites in all of Asia. Built in the 5th-century, Sigiriya is a stunning example of innovative architecture, gardening, urban planning, hydraulic engineering and art. Also a UNESCO-listed World Heritage site, the area was formerly the royal citadel of King Kasyapa and houses an fascinating museum of the its past.
Leave Sigiriya in the early evening and begin the drive back to Colombo, where your guide will drop you off at your hotel.
6am - Get picked up from your Colombo hotel and head to Dambulla.
11am - Arrive at the Dambulla Cave Temple. The Dambulla Cave Temple is a World Heritage Site in Sri Lanka, situated in the central part of the country. Visit Dambulla Rock Temple and Dambulla Golden Temple and museum.
1pm - Take a 1-hour break for lunch (own cost).
2:30pm - Visit Sigiriya and Sigiriya Museum. One of Asia's major archaeological sites, Sigiriya presents a unique concentration of fifth-century urban planning, architecture, gardening, engineering, hydraulic technology and art. Sigiriya Lion Rock Citadel of Sri Lanka built by King Kasyapa in the 5th century A.D. It was the royal citadel of King Kasyapa for more than 18 years. Sigiriya has been named as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1982. 5:30pm - After visiting Sigiriya depart for Colombo where you will be dropped off at your hotel.
Your hotel in Colombo
Returns to original departure point
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by private vehicle
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Entrance fees
- Expenses of personal nature
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for participants with back problems (climbing in Sigiriya)
- Not recommended for pregnant women (climbing in Sigiriya)
- Not wheelchair accessible (certain areas)
- Subject to favorable weather conditions.
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee. If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.