Lakpura Travels (Pvt) Ltd
Lunuganga Estate, Turtles and Madu River from Colombo
- Witness Geoffrey Bawa’s creations at
- Lunuganga Estate
- Go on lovely boat safari in Madu River
- Visit Kosgoda Turtle Hatchery
The first place you will visit is the strange and yet beautiful Lunuganga estate that was once the home of Sir Geoffrey Bawa. The next place for your perusal is the highly engaging Kosgoda Turtle Hatchery. Finally you will visit Balapitiya for the ultimate experience, the Madu River Safari
What You Can Expect
Your chauffeur will pick up from your hotel by 07:30 am. It will take approximately an hour or hour and a half to reach Bentota. So you will arrive there before 9:00 am.The first item in your itinerary will be Bawa’s estate in Lunuganga. Sir Geoffrey Bawa, the much renowned lawyer turned architect, made the estate his country home from 1947 till his death in 1998. During his sojourn there he used the place as his experiment lab and made many architectural and interior additions. While visiting the estate you will get to see the beautifully designed gardens that are now open to the public. Some of the buildings of the estate are also now a country house hotel. The tour of the estate takes two hours.Thereafter proceed to Kosgoda and visit Turtle Hatchery. (Travel Time 20 to 30 mins) Here, you will be spending an hour getting to know about sea turtles and their conservation. The best part of the hatchery is the touch pools, deep tubs of seawater with baby sea turtles swimming in them. Visitors are allowed to pick up and handle then to some extent. There are also fully matured sea turtles of different kinds, receiving treatment for various ailments or wounds.Thereafter proceed to Balapitiya and go on a lovely Boat Safari I Madu River. (Travel Time 20 to 30 mins) Balapitiya is a little southern town lying in marshy wetlands. The area is a high bio diversity zone that relies on the lagoon created by Madu River as it flows into the Indian Ocean. Your safari will take you on a ride down the river. You will get to see the dense mangrove forest that grows along the marshy banks of the river and the forms of wildlife that call the roots home. Your guide will also take you some of the larger free standing islands on Madu River. On one such island you will find an old Buddhist monastery. Cinnamon harvesting is the main employment of the people of this area.Another attraction of the safari is the famous fish massage. This ‘massage parlor’ is a hut standing on stilts in the middle of the river. A netted in area contains the ‘massage fish’. You will be sitting on the deck of the hut with your feet in the water, while the fish work their magic.After this relaxing boat tour, your will be returning to Colombo by 4:00 pm. You will get back to your hotel at 6:00 pm completing the tour.
- Comfortable Walking Shoes Recommended for this tour.
- Entrance Fees to Lunuganga Estate and Kosgoda Turtle Hatchery, Boat Safari in Madu River, Hotel Pick & Drop, All Taxes.
Food or Drinks, Gratuities (Optional), Expenses of Personal Nature
Cancellation, No Show and Refund Policy
Cancellation must be in writing and sent by you/your travel agent who made the booking. Cancellations take effect from the date the written notice is received. No refund in full or in part will be given for unutilized services in the package(s) once you commence using the product or service.
- Up to 30 days before the Check-In-Date – Fixed processing fee of USD 30.00 and the balance will be refunded. In case of a refund to be made via an international bank transfer, all bank fees to be borne by the guest. A refund to the credit card is subject to above processing fee only.
- Less than 30 days and in case of “No Show” – No refunds.
- No refunds will be entertained under whatsoever condition once the guest arrives in Sri Lanka.
- We reserve the right to cancel your holiday because of unforeseen circumstances.