Lakpura Travels (Pvt) Ltd
Colombo Night Cycling
- Fully narrated tour
- Comprehensive tour of the city
- Cycle the city streets to absorb the local atmosphere
- Instant Confirmation
Cycle through the charming city of Colombo at dusk, as you visit some of its most iconic landmarks and learn its hidden secrets. Learn more about the history of the city and the stories behind it. See Colombo from a different perspective. Catch a quick break with some light snacks & refreshments.
The tour begins at 5:30pm at Independence Square where you will get familiarized with your bikes and listen to the safety briefing. You will also be provided with helmets, safety glasses, and reflector jackets, to ensure safety and comfort.
The route that you will be taking is as below:
- Independence Square: The Independence memorial hall is a National monument in Independence Square. It was opened in 1953. The memorial hall is based on the architecture of the Audience Hall of the royal palace complex (which now houses the Temple of the Tooth Relic) in Kandy.
- Race Course: Opened in 1893, the race course was used as a temporary air field during World War II. It went on a decline after the war. In 2014, it was converted to Sri Lanka's first International Rugby Ground with an attached shopping complex.
- Victoria Park and the Municipal Building: Victoria Park is the largest and oldest park in Colombo. It was built during the British era and was named after Queen Victoria. Today the name has been changed to Viharamahadevi Park to commemorate the mother of the famous ancient Sri Lankan King Dutugamunu.
- Gangaramaya Temple: Gangaramaya Temple is an eclectic mix of modern architecture, due to its redesign by the famous architect Geoffrey Bawa, and cultural essence. Located in what once a swamp adjoining the Beira Lake, this temple is a one of the land marks of the city.
- Slave Island: A suburb of Colombo that was once a place of horror where African slaves were held during the Portuguese and Dutch rule of Sri Lanka. Some of the residents still have traces of African ancestry.
- Dutch Hospital: It was built in 1681 in the Dutch Colonial era. With time it was used for various purposes. Now it has been lavishly restored and is home to some of the best cafes, restaurants and shops in Colombo.
- Grand Oriental Hotel: A 19th Century Colonial Building converted into a hotel, it has a scenic view of the Colombo Harbor and Galle Face Green.
- Old Colombo Light House: The old lighthouse is an important part of the city and has a history that dates back to the 19th It now functions as a clock tower.
- The Prison of the Last King of Ceylon: A historical icon of Colombo, the prison cell of the last king of Sri Lanka, Sri Vikrama Rajainghe, is located opposite the Bank of Ceylon headquarters.
- Galle Face Green and Galle Face Hotel: A long stretch of coastal land cleared by the Dutch to put up the canons of their fort. The original green was a larger area than it is today.
After viewing these places you will be cycling back to Independence Square and finish the tour there at 10:30pm
Independence Square Colombo
Independence Square Colombo
- Tour escort/host
- ILight snacks & refreshments
- All guests will be provided helmets, safety glasses, and reflector jackets, as safety and comfort is our number one priority
- A back up vehicle and spare bicycles will be available during the tour in case of emergency
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Minimum age is 10 years
- The safety of all guests while on tour is of utmost importance to us. All guests must agree to strictly abide by all instructions and directions given while on tour by any instructors
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee. If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.