Lakpura Travels (Pvt) Ltd
Angampora-Ancient Martial from Colombo
- Various Angampora martial arts demonstrations.
- Chance to learn Angampora techniques from professionals.
This tour gives you the chance to see and experience the ancient Sri Lankan martial art form of Angampora in person. Watch demonstrations of the various high-level techniques of Angampora. View knife fights, gang fights, the art of swords, and much more. Learn some basic Angampora techniques from professionals, if you are interested. This is a wonderfully fun tour for those who are interested in martial and history, or have a great sense of adventure.
What You Can Expect
Recommended starting time is 0800 hrs to start your Angampora tour from the hotel in Colombo. Ensure that you bring a packed breakfast with you, if you are unable to have your meal at the hotel. Your chauffeur will be picking you up and driving you to the Angampora Training Centre in Athurugiriya. If you chose to start your tour at 0800 hrs you will get there by approximately 0930 hrs.
Angampora is an ancient martial art form practiced in Sri Lanka for millennia. According to folklore, the history of this martial arts stretches back to almost 30,000 years. Ancient scripts mention that it was born from the efforts of nine hermits; and the most famous expert of this art is believed to be Rana Ravana, a mythical warrior said to have lived 5,000 years ago. Either way, it indeed fact that it was used in wars for almost two millennia as confirmed by historic evidence presented in carvings from various ancient temples such as the Embekke Devalaya, The temple of the Tooth, etc; and many historic scripts. It was also extremely feared by the British during their invasion; to the extent that they prohibited the art form, burnt all practice huts that they found, and shot the kneecaps of practitioners to maim them.
The combat techniques of Angampora include grappling, striking, and most especially pressure point attacks that can cause pain or even permanent paralysis. It incorporates hand-to-hand fighting with various weaponry; such as knives, swords, staves, maces and more. There are also self-defense techniques, sport, exercise and meditation techniques which can be learned. It is believed that there was also some secretive Angampora techniques that used incantations and spells for attack.
You will be viewing demonstrations of this legendary martial art form at the training center. They will take place for a total of approximately 45 minutes.
After the demonstrations, you will be able to meet with professional Angampora experts and question them on the history and techniques of this art form. They will also be happy to teach you a few basic techniques to protect yourself, enabling you to learn and experience Angampora yourself.
At approximately 1130 hrs you will be leaving the Angampora Training Centre. You will be dropped off at your hotel by approximately 1300 hrs completing your tour.
Comfortable walking shoes recommended for this tour. Drive time may change due to unpredictable road traffic. Photography stops on the way can be arranged but within locations with reasonable parking areas.
- Transport throughout the tour with an air-conditioned vehicle,
- Service of an English-Speaking Chauffer Guide,
- Demonstrations session (45 minutes),
- 1 Liter of Bottled Mineral Water Per Person,
- Hotel Pick & Drop,
- All Taxes & Service Charges.
- Entrance Fees,
- Food or Drinks,
- Gratuities (Optional),
- Expenses of Personal Nature.
Cancellation, No Show and Refund Policy
Cancellation must be in writing and sent by you/your travel agent who made the booking. Cancellations take effect from the date the written notice is received. No refund in full or in part will be given for unutilized services in the package(s) once you commence using the product or service.
- Up to 14 days before the Activity-Date – Fixed processing fee of USD 30.00 and the balance will be refunded. In case of a refund to be made via an international bank transfer, all bank fees to be borne by the guest. A refund to the credit card is subject to above processing fee only.
- Less than 14 days and in case of “No Show” – No Refunds.
- No refunds will be entertained under whatsoever condition once the guest arrives in Sri Lanka.
- We reserve the right to cancel your holiday because of unforeseen circumstances.