Lakpura Travels (Pvt) Ltd
About Culinary Experience
Sri Lanka is an island nation which loves its food. From the wide range of staples to the spicy curries to the sweets to street food, Sri Lankan cuisine is full of flavour and variety. With so many dishes to choose from, it is no wonder that there are so many fans of Sri Lankan food the world over.
Upali’s by Nawaloka is one of the hottest new Sri Lankan restaurants in town. In collaboration with Sri Lanka Day Tours, it provides a Sri Lankan culinary experience, where you will be introduced to a wide range of Sri Lankan dishes and how to prepare them.
At the heart and soul of Sri Lankan cuisine is a range of spices. The intricacies of these spices and their use will be daunting at first, but the expert chefs at Upali’s will guide you along in the process.
A history of Sri Lankan cuisine will be given, including the influences that Sri Lanka’s cuisine has had from foreign cuisines. The chefs will introduce you to Sri Lankan staples such as string hoppers, hoppers, roti, and pittu, and what accompaniments go best with each of them. You will be taught how to identify spices, and how to spice up dishes before firing up the stove.
Learn to roll rotis, mix your own sambol (relish), and spice your own curry just the way you like it. At the end of the cooking experience, everyone will sit down together and have an authentic feast, because the Sri Lankan food experience is better when it is shared. Each workshop offers a completely unique dish, so you can choose to take it more than once.
- An opportunity to learn about various Sri Lankan cuisines.
- Participatory learning on cooking a few dishes with the host David.
- Acquire knowledge about Sri Lankan spices and it’s various uses.
- A sit down dinner with the chef after preparation of the meal.
- The restaurant we host this experience at is located in the heart of the city and could be reached with ease.
- Availability - All year around
- Meeting point - Pre arranged Meeting Point in Colombo 07
- Preferred Starting Time - 10 a.m
- Duration - 2 to 3hrs
- Children 6 to 12 years of age will be charged 50%
- Participatory demonstration on cooking an authentic Sri Lankan meal
- A sit down dinner with the chef after preparation of the meal
- All Government taxes and service charges
- Extra food and beverages consumed
- Transportation to and from the restaurant
- Any tips to the staff
- Any personal effects not mentioned here
- Any others expenses not mentioned in ‘Price Inclusions’ section
- Lightweight clothes and safety and non-slip shoes should be worn during the program