Kandy Half-Day City Tour
About Kandy City Tour
This half-day tour allows you to experience a true glimpse into Kandy’s history and culture as never seen before. Start off with a tour of the old Kandy Palace premises that form the outer precinct of the Temple of the Tooth Relic. Discover the thousands of interesting archaeological artifacts housed in the National Museum nearby. Visit the old abandoned Garrison Cemetery where many colonial era British soldiers were laid to rest. Enjoy a relaxing boat ride on the famous and historic Kandy Lake built by King Sri Wickrama Rajasinghe. Go on a long and fruitful drive through the countryside of Kandy to visit the beautiful Peradeniya University. Tour the Agro Technology Park in Gannoruwa to see some amazing agricultural designs and colorful flora. Finish off with a shopping spree at a famous handicrafts store for a chance to see and purchase some delightful handcrafted souvenirs.
- Tour of Kandy Palace premises / outer precinct of the Temple of the Tooth Relic including the Audience Hall
- Visit of National Museum and the British Garrison Cemetery
- Boat Ride on Kandy Lake
- Tours of Peradeniya University and the Gannoruwa Agro Technology Park
- Shopping spree at handicrafts emporium
09.00 am - 01.00 pm (04 hours)
You will be starting your tour at 9:00 am from your hotel in Kandy. A vehicle with your chauffeur guide will pick you up. Be ready for a hot day with lots of walking involved.
Your first stop will be the outer precinct of the famous Temple of the Tooth Relic. While the temple itself is famous, the surrounding precinct is severely underestimated and unexplored by travelers. One of the most important things to remember is that the Temple itself was placed within the refurbished former Royal Palace of the Kandyan Kingdom. A number of other important structures, such as the Audience Chamber, were also located around this main structure. You will get to see them as part of this tour.
Next, you will be visiting the National Museum with its wealth of over 5000 artifacts collected from digs and finds around the area. It will be quite interesting to view these and listen to your guide to explain the stories behind some of the key artifacts. Next, you will be taking a walk into the woods near Kandy Lake, where you will find an old abandoned cemetery. This is the British Garrison Cemetery. Two centuries ago, in 1817, the British colonials captured Kandy after a hard-fought battle. They lost many soldiers and had them buried in this cemetery. You can walk around this cemetery reading the epitaphs on the tombstones.
After this, you will be walking back down to Kandy Lake. This lake was artificially created by Sri Wickrama Rajasinghe, who proved to be the last king of Kandy. He built it on the blood and bones of those of his subjects who objected the creation of the lake on their farming lands. Ironically, this lake came to be called the ‘Sea of Milk’. Regardless of its bloodstained history, Kandy Lake is an extremely picturesque place and you will have a boat ride on it.
Next, you will drive to Peradeniya University. Along the way, you will have stopped by Hindu Temples and other important locations for a brief look. The university is hailed as one of the most beautiful in the Asian continent. Then you will visit the Agro Technology Park in Gannoruwa. There are some many colorful plants and agricultural designs here, making it very picturesque.
You will finish off with a visit to a Handicrafts store and workshop. There will be much to see how these handicrafts are made and you can purchase some souvenirs. After this, you will be driven back to your hotel - ending your tour by 1:00 pm.
- Age above 12 years will be considered ar Adult between 3 - 12 years will be considered as child
- Open Deck tour as per Itinerary
- All entrance fees included as per itinerary
- 500 ml bottle of mineral water
- Live commentary in English by professional Guide
- Food and Drinks
- Gratuities (Optional)
- Expenses of Personal Nature
Cancellation, No Show and Refund Policy
Cancellation must be in writing and sent by you/your travel agent who made the booking. Cancellations take effect from the date the written notice is received. No refund in full or in part will be given for unutilized services in the package(s) once you commence using the product or service.
- Up to 30 days before the Check-In-Date – Fixed processing fee of USD 30.00 and the balance will be refunded. In case of a refund to be made via an international bank transfer, all bank fees to be borne by the guest. A refund to the credit card is subject to above processing fee only.
- Less than 30 days and in case of “No Show” – No refunds.
- No refunds will be entertained under whatsoever condition once the guest arrives in Sri Lanka.
- We reserve the right to cancel your holiday because of unforeseen circumstances.