Lakpura Travels (Pvt) Ltd
Galle Fort Guided Walking Tour from Galle
• A visit to one of the best preserved colonial forts in Asia
• Tours of the museums of Galle and the Lighthouse
• Walk through the lively streets and look at the buildings with their old architecture
• Get a feel for the tropics with a cup of tea or a king coconut.
What You Can Expect
You will start your tour at the entrance to the Fort, where you will be met by your host at 4:30 pm. Your guide and host is a local who has been a resident of Galle his whole life, along with his ancestors. His masterful knowledge of the town and its history will show you the layers below the colorful beauty of Galle.
The natural harbor of Galle was famous as far back as 1400 BC. At that time it was one of the main ports in the world from which cinnamon was exported. The arrival of the Portuguese marked a change in the history of the town. They made Galle their headquarters and destroyed many important monuments which were in the area. The initial earth and palisade fort built by the Portuguese was expanded on by the Dutch, after their takeover of the Portuguese assets in the 17th century. The Dutch Fort was highly advanced with high stone ramparts and many bastions. They also built many other buildings for administration and residency. The Dutch made renovations to the streets and added advancements such as storm water drains.
Today much of the Dutch fort still stands, contradicting the ravages of time. The history seeped streets of Galle retain their life and originality. You will be able to climb up to the ramparts of the fort, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and walk through the streets. The delicate filigreed roofs and old street signs with Dutch names add to their character. Your host will also take you on a tour to the museums which have many antiquities relating to the history of Galle and its harbor. Your walking tour will also take you to the Galle lighthouse which was built by the British. Along the way you will take a break with a cup of fine Ceylon Tea or a refreshing drink of King Coconut milk.
Your walk will be completed back at the Dutch Fort at 6:30 pm.
Additional Note – Comfortable Walking Shoes Recommended for this tour.
Tours Includes – Private Transport throughout the excursion in an Air Conditioned Car with the service of an English Speaking Chauffer Guide.
3 x 300 ml Mineral water bottle per person.
All applicable current local taxes, but subject to change at the time of booking and hotel Pick & Drop, All Taxes.
Tour Excludes – Meals where not specified, any expenses of personal nature. Tips & Portages, Entrance Fees and other Services not mentioned above.
Cancellation, No Show and Refund Policy
Cancellation must be in writing and sent by you/your travel agent who made the booking. Cancellations take effect from the date the written notice is received. No refund in full or in part will be given for unutilized services in the package(s) once you commence using the product or service.
- Up to 30 days before the Check-In-Date – Fixed processing fee of USD 30.00 and the balance will be refunded. In case of a refund to be made via an international bank transfer, all bank fees to be borne by the guest. A refund to the credit card is subject to above processing fee only.
- Less than 30 days and in case of “No Show” – No refunds.
- No refunds will be entertained under whatsoever condition once the guest arrives in Sri Lanka.
- We reserve the right to cancel your holiday because of unforeseen circumstances.