Lakpura Travels (Pvt) Ltd
Galle Cycling tour
- Take a ride amid the stunning scenery in Galle town and its suburbs.
- Marshlands that surround the serene Koggala Lake.
- Visit the low country tea factory – Kahanda Kanda Tea Factory
- Track all the major attractions in the region including Unawatuna Beach, the Rumassala mountain and the world-famous Galle Dutch Fort.
Duration: Half Day Tour
Galle is considered the capital of Sri Lanka’s south with historical and cultural importance. This cycle tour of Galle and its outskirts will provide you with a view to this magnificent city and its happenings.
You will meet our guide in Miliduwa, in the outskirts of Galle at approximately 0800 hrs. After introductions and an initial brief of the tour, you set off from Miliduwa.
The first stop is at the tea factory at Kahanda Kanda. This factory gives you a glance at how low-country tea is processed from raw leaves all the way to its final form with a peak at how a co-ordinated effort gets the tea from the lush green plantations to a teacup.
The serene Koggala Lake, being the next stop, is a place to rejuvenate and take on a boat ride around the lake. The Koggala Lake is dotted with hundreds of tiny islands, some of them large enough to be inhabited. Amongst many key features, the marshland that surrounds the lake is the main attraction with several dozen species of rare and colourful birds, especially during the migrant season.
You continue to cycle amid paddy fields, coconut, rubber and cinnamon plantations etc. Upon reaching Unawatuna, you will see its famous pristine beaches and coral reefs. Unawatuna borders Rumassala mountain, with a unique Buddhist temple and a small attractive strip of beach known as Jungle Beach.
Galle city, the most significant attraction in this tour features the 17th century Galle Dutch Fort. It features several quaint boutiques for souvenir hunters, high-quality restaurants, even a strip of beach and even the first breadfruit tree planted in Sri Lanka. You will get a chance to interact with the locals and try some mouth-watering street food as well.
From the Galle Fort, you will cycle back to Miliduwa village to end an undoubtedly rewarding tour.
- Cycles, including helmets
- The services of a knowledgeable and experienced local cycle guide from the community for the duration of the tour
- Bottled drinking water for the duration of the tour
- Packed snacks and refreshments for the tour
- All applicable current local taxes
- As the weather in Sri Lanka is not predictable, guests are advised to bring suitable clothing for warm, windy, and rainy conditions
- Items such as insect repellent and sun protective lotions are highly recommended, and should be brought and carried by guests
- Lightweight clothes and biking shoes/boots should be worn during the ride
- Bottles of water and refreshments should be carried by guests over the duration of the tour