Lakpura Travels (Pvt) Ltd
Galle City, Madu River and Turtle Hatchery Tour from Galle
- Visit the Kosgoda Sea Turtle Hatchery
- Go on a lovely boat ride in Madu River.
- A visit to one of the best preserved colonial forts in Asia.
Duration: ~ 09 Hours
This tour has two of the most unique experiences in the south coast of Sri Lanka. Tour a city of Galle and visit the famed Galle Fort. The next place for your perusal is the highly engaging Kosgoda Turtle Hatchery. Finally you will visit Balapitiya for the ultimate experience, the Madu River Safari.
What You Can Expect
You will be picked up from the hotel in Galle at approximately 0830 hrs. Ensure that you bring a packed breakfast with you, if you are unable to have your meal.
You will reach your first destination, Galle to discover the city of the Colonial, where the Portuguese and Dutch made their headquarters, and its secrets. (Travel time 10 mins to 15 mins)
This coastal city has withstood three foreign invasions; during which time, it grew from a bustling port which was a main stop for ships travelling east, to a fortified and yet beautiful city with many monuments which have withstood the ravages of time. You will be able to view the Galle Fort which is a World Heritage Site, the Galle Lighthouse, the National Maritime Museum, the picturesque cobblestoned streets with their Dutch names, and many more colonial remnants. You will be finishing your city tour by approximately 1045 hrs.
After that proceed to Balapitiya. (Travel Time 45 mins to 1 hr) En-route you may stop and have lunch at place of your choice. (At your own expense). Thereafter at by approximately 1300 hrs go on a lovely Boat Safari Madu River.
Balapitiya is a little southern town lying in marshy wetlands. The area is a high bio diversity zone that relies on the lagoon created by Madu River as it flows into the Indian Ocean. Your safari will take you on a ride down the river. You will get to see the dense mangrove forest that grows along the marshy banks of the river and the forms of wildlife that call the roots home. Your guide will also take you some of the larger free standing islands on Madu River. On one such island you will find an old Buddhist monastery. Cinnamon harvesting is the main employment of the people of this area.
Another attraction of the safari is the famous fish massage. This ‘massage parlor’ is a hut standing on stilts in the middle of the river. A netted in area contains the ‘massage fish’. You will be sitting on the deck of the hut with your feet in the water, while the fish work their magic.
Here, you will be spending 30 to 40 minutes getting to know about sea turtles and their conservation. The best part of the hatchery is the touch pools, deep tubs of seawater with baby sea turtles swimming in them. Visitors are allowed to pick up and handle then to some extent. There are also fully matured sea turtles of different kinds, receiving treatment for various ailments or wounds.
On completion begin your journey back to Galle by 1640 hrs. You will get back to the Galle port at approximately 1740 hrs completing the tour. (Travel Time 45 mins to 1 hr)
- Comfortable walking shoes recommended for this tour
- Hotel Pickup and drop-off
- Transport in an Air-Conditioned Vehicle with the service of an English Speaking Chauffeur Guide.
- 1 Liter of Bottled Mineral Water Per Person.
- All Taxes & Service Charges.
- Entrance Fees (Madu river boat safari, Kosgoda Turtle Hatchery).
- Food or Drinks (Lunch).
- Gratuities (Optional).
- Expenses of Personal Nature.
Cancellation, No Show and Refund Policy
Cancellation must be in writing and sent by you/your travel agent who made the booking. Cancellations take effect from the date the written notice is received. No refund in full or in part will be given for unutilized services in the package(s) once you commence using the product or service.
- Up to 30 days before the Check-In-Date – Fixed processing fee of USD 30.00 and the balance will be refunded. In case of a refund to be made via an international bank transfer, all bank fees to be borne by the guest. A refund to the credit card is subject to above processing fee only.
- Less than 30 days and in case of “No Show” – No refunds.
- No refunds will be entertained under whatsoever condition once the guest arrives in Sri Lanka.
- We reserve the right to cancel your holiday because of unforeseen circumstances.