Lakpura Travels (Pvt) Ltd
Whale Watching Tour in Mirissa
- Learn more about whales and about the whales that inhabit Sri Lankan waters
- Have the guidance of a qualified naturalist.
- Watch the whales responsibly from a safe distance with a lighter imprint on nature.
- Whales are best seen between December and April.
- If the tour has to be cancelled due to bad weather conditions, you will be able to reschedule it at no additional cost.
The Whale Watching Tour in Mirissa, this five hour tour gives you an opportunity to see the biggest mammals on earth, the whales, in their natural habitat. Get a chance to see blue whales, sperm whales and fin whales as they swim in the waters to the south of Sri Lanka. Gain more knowledge about the whales as a species from a qualified naturalist and learn to identify them. This tour gives you a responsible whale watching experience with a minimal imprint on nature
What You Can Expect
You will be met by your tour guide at the piers of Mirissa. You will start your Whale Watching Tour at 6:30 am. The boat will take two hours to reach the place where whales are commonly seen. It is recommended that you bring a packed breakfast with you. However, please be environment conscious and avoid littering.
Sri Lanka has many types of whales inhabiting its waters. The whale population around Mirissa, which lies on the southern coast of the island, includes blue whales, sperm whales, fin whales, occasional orcas, and many types of dolphins. They are best seen between the months of December and April, when the seas are comparatively calmer.
Your boat will be reducing speed and engine noise as you approach the site where whales are most seen. You will be stopping at a safe distance of at least 300 feet away, with your closest approach being a 100 feet. This tour will allow you to watch the whales responsibly with minimal environmental impact.
Your naturalist on board will give you more information on the whales and their behavior. He will also assist you with identifying the whales that you see. Look out for the spout of air and water, which signifies a whale coming up to breathe.You will be completing your tour and will be dropped off at the pier by 11:30 am.
- Comfortable Walking Shoes Recommended for this tour.
- Entrance Fees to Whale watching, Hotel Pick & Drop, and All Taxes.
- Food or Drinks, Gratuities (Optional), Expenses of Personal Nature.
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure,there is no
cancellation fee.If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled
departure,there is a 50 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the
scheduled departure,there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.