Lakpura Travels (Pvt) Ltd
The Tangalle – Mulkirigala Cycling Tour
- Visit ancient temple of Mulkirigala.
The palm fringed bay and picturesque coves of Tangalle are a natural treasure. This tour allows you to view most popular stunning rock temple of Mulkirigala as you cycle along the south coast of Sri Lanka from Tangalle to Mulkirigala. Mulkirigala has a strenuous climb in some places while it is reasonably easy in most. It is well worth making it to the summit, for there are magnificent views of the surrounding countryside.
What You Can Expect
You will be starting your cycling tour at 0800 Hrs from Tangalla Bay Hotel in Tangalle.
You will be cycling approximately 01 hour to reach the Mulkirigala Temple from the starting point. In every paddle you will have something to explore and it would be a new experience which most of the tourists will not have the luxury to experience.
You will be cycling through water streams, paddy fields and mini forests in the area before you reach to the Mulkirigala Temple. En-route refresh yourselves with a coconut drink. Mulkirigala Rock Temple rises about 676 feet from the surrounding land mass.
There are seven cave temples situated in five terraced areas of different altitudes. Mulkirigala temple is also considered to be one of the 64 temples constructed by King Kawantissa back in the 3rd Century BC and was called as 'Muhudu Gira'.
The chetiya at the uppermost terrace is considered to be the shrine to the relics of the Lord Buddha offered by the King Saddhatissa. According to historical manuscripts, King Mahanaga, King Kawantissa, King Dutugemunu, King Parakramabahu the Great, King Saddhatissa, King Valagamba, King Jetta Tissa I, King Parakramabahu I are credited with construction work of the temple during their rein.
The temples remaining at present belongs to the Kandyan era and the Buddha images and many cave paintings depicts magnificent examples of the Kandyan era arts and craftings. Mulkirigala Rock Temple is one of the few prevailing 'Raja Maha Vihara' or the 'Temples of the Great Kings' (of the Kandyan Kingdom). King Keerthi Sri Rajasinghe (1747 AD) gave his patronage to reconstruct this temple after being neglected for centuries since the rein of King Parakramabahu the Great.
On completion start paddling your cycle back to the “Bay Hotel” in Tangalle and finishing the tour at 1300 Hrs.
Comfortable Cycling Shoes recommended for this tour. Photography stops on the way can be arranged but within locations with reasonable parking areas.
- Mountain Bikes and Helmets.
- Managing the Entire Cycling Route.
- Well Experienced Cycling Guide(s) and His Fees.
- Hotel Pick & Drop.
- 1 Bottle of Water Per Person Per Day During Cycle Tour Portion.
- Refreshments and Biscuits.
- All Taxes & Service Charges.
- Hotel Pick & Drop,
- Entrance Fees,
- Food or Drinks not mentioned above.
- Gratuities (Optional)
- Expenses of Personal Nature
Cancellation PolicyCancellation must be in writing and sent by you/your travel agent who made the booking. Cancellations take effect from the date the written notice is received. No refund in full or in part will be given for unutilized services in the package(s) once you commence using the product or service.
- Up to 14 days before the Activity-Date – Fixed processing fee of USD 30.00 and the balance will be refunded. In case of a refund to be made via an international bank transfer, all bank fees to be borne by the guest. A refund to the credit card is subject to above processing fee only.
- Less than 14 days and in case of “No Show” – No Refunds.
- No refunds will be entertained under whatsoever condition once the guest arrives in Sri Lanka.
- We reserve the right to cancel your holiday because of unforeseen circumstances.