Lakpura Travels (Pvt) Ltd
Mulkirigala Temple Excursion
About Mulkirigala Temple Excursion
The Mulkirigala Temple Excursion is an experience that joins history with nature and provides it a real local touch.
You will leave the hotel around 3:00pm and will be transported through the beautiful countryside via Beliatta to reach the foothills of the rock temple at 3.45 pm. At this point, you will meet the local guide who is a native from the village of Mulkirigala. He has lost track of the number of times he has climbed the Mulkirigala rock over the last 15 years, and you will be hard pressed to find anyone better to go along on this journey with.
With your guide, you will ascend the mountain one step at a time, exploring each of the seven caves to be in time for the sunset at the summit. Believed to have been originally built in the third century by King Saddhatissa, King Dathusena in the fifth century and King Kirthi Sri Rajasinghe in the 18th Century are said to have contributed to the construction of the various temples in the site. Most structures visible today date from the 18th century.
At the top you will be greeted by Gamage, a devotee of the temple who will serve you some home-made sweetmeats made in the traditional manner and herbal tea.
After witnessing an amazing sunset, you will carefully descend the rock with the help of the guide. Before you get to the vehicle to start your return journey, you will get a chance to meet and speak with a little samanera (a novice monk) from the temple and make a small donation that would help to pursue his studies. (this is included in your price)
You will reach your hotel in Tangalle by around 7:00pm – 7:30pm. For other hotels, times may vary depending on the location.
- You will be led by enthusiastic local guides.
- Get fascinated by ancient cave paintings and Buddha statues spread over 7 caves in a temple complex that is over 2000 years old.
- Excellent photo opportunities.
- Exciting encounters with members of the local community
- A face to face encounter with a Samanera [a novice monk ]
- Beautiful temple architecture spanning over 2000 years.
- Amazing panoramic views all the way to the top, including an amazing sunset.
- Meet and greet the troupe of monkeys living in the area [no feeding is allowed as monkeys can get aggressive]
- No Tips and No tickets – what you pay is what it takes.
- This is an excellent community-based tour where you get maximum benefit for what you pay.
- Starts at 3:00pm from your hotel in Tangalle.
- Finishes at 7:00pm to 7:30pm at your hotel in Tangalle.
- Return transfers could be arranged at any other hotel upon request.
- Only suitable for adults and children who are 6 years or above.
- A local guide
- Transport to and from your hotel
- Unlimited water
- Refreshments at the summit
- Local Fruits
- Tips and Donations to the communities
- Anything not mentioned in the above section