Lakpura Travels (Pvt) Ltd
Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage from Kalutara
- Visit the sanctuary of the Gentle Giants.
- Have a fun with Elephants.
During this full day tour to Pinnawala, this tour allows you to have some one-on-one fun with the elephants. Spend some time feeding and playing with baby elephants in the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage. Watch the elephants as they bathe and roll in the mud to get cool. Learn more about elephants than you have ever before.
What You Can Expect
Your tour starts at 0630 hrs when you get picked up from your hotel in Kalutara. Ensure that you bring a packed breakfast with you, if you are unable to have your meal at the hotel. It will take four hours and you will be at the Pinnawala Elephant orphanage by approximately 0930 hrs.
The orphanage was created in 1975 to house orphaned or injured elephants. It is currently home to a herd of over 90 elephants. Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage is the home for young Elephants who have been displaced or lost from their natural habitat, located at Pinnawala village in Sabaragamuwa province of Sri Lanka. Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage is the best place for an up close and personal experience with the world’s largest land mammals! Today with 70 elephants herein, Pinnawala has become the home to the largest captive group of elephants in the world. Feeding time at 0915 hrs.
The Orphanage is open from 0830 hrs to 1745 hrs and visitors can interact a little with the elephants during the regulated bathing and feeding times. The baby elephants gulp down several huge bottles of milk, fed to them by their mahouts, and then it’s off to the river for a bath. The inherent gentleness of the animals is most obvious during this time. Most of the elephants eventually become ‘working’ elephants, and some older females occasionally add a baby to the herd.
You will be spending approximately three hours at Pinnawala. Shortly after you arrive you will be able experience the feeding session and later watch them bathe.
You will also be walking around the orphanage seeing the facility and learning more about the place.
You will be finishing the tour at 1230 hrs and returning to your hotel in Kalutara by 1530 hrs. You may stop for lunch on your way back to Kalutara or even have lunch during your time in Pinnawala (At your own cost).
Comfortable Walking Shoes Recommended for this tour. Drive time may change due to unpredictable road traffic. Photography stops on the way can be arranged but within locations with reasonable parking areas.
- Transport throughout the tour with an air-conditioned vehicle,
- Service of an English-Speaking Chauffer Guide,
- 1 Liter of Bottled Mineral Water Per Person,
- Hotel Pick & Drop,
- All Taxes & Service Charges.
- Entrance Fees (Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage),
- Food or Drinks,
- Gratuities (Optional),
- Expenses of Personal Nature.
Cancellation PolicyCancellation must be in writing and sent by you/your travel agent who made the booking. Cancellations take effect from the date the written notice is received. No refund in full or in part will be given for unutilized services in the package(s) once you commence using the product or service.
- Up to 14 days before the Activity-Date – Fixed processing fee of USD 30.00 and the balance will be refunded. In case of a refund to be made via an international bank transfer, all bank fees to be borne by the guest. A refund to the credit card is subject to above processing fee only.
- Less than 14 days and in case of “No Show” – No Refunds.
- No refunds will be entertained under whatsoever condition once the guest arrives in Sri Lanka.
- We reserve the right to cancel your holiday because of unforeseen circumstances.