Lakpura Travels (Pvt) Ltd
Dolphin Watching in Kalpitiya
• Available November to March (subject to weather)
• Naturalist available on first come first serve basis
• Daily dolphin watching excursions begin at 07:30 hrs.
• Private group excursions can be arranged.
• Up to 6 guests in one boat
• All safety gear as required will be provided
November to March is the season for dolphin watching excursions, as this is when the seas are
calm. During this period, hundreds of dolphins and in some instances thousands can be
observed in large pods just ½ hour on shore. Dolphin watching excursions usually begin at
7:30am.Sightings are so certain that we offer a free dolphin excursion (excluding park fees) the
next day, if you are unlucky on your first outing. We have a 95% hit ratio seeing dolphins.
Spinner dolphins are the most common sightings and the most spectacular as they engage in
acrobatic leaps out of the water. Whilst airborne they rotate along their longitudinal axis –
hence their name spinner dolphins.
A permit issued by the Department of Wildlife Conservation is required for every individual
going out on marine mammal watching excursions.