Lakpura Travels (Pvt) Ltd
Bird watching in Kalmetiya Sanctuary
About Bird watching in Kalmetiya Sanctuary
The Sri Lanka Day Tours Team is geared to providing the best birding experiences available. Birding enthusiasts will love exploring the hidden gem known as the Kalametiya Bird Sanctuary as it is the country’s oldest bird sanctuary and is known to hold numerous exotic species of birds.
This two-hour excursion into the heart of the sanctuary will begin at 6 a.m. (for morning tours) or 4 p.m. You will first meet with the Eco Team staff at the designated location, where you will be warmly greeted by your naturalist/guide. You will then set out on an adventurous journey through the beautiful bird sanctuary.
Sri Lanka Day Tours owning company, Eco Team’s specialized Birding Arm offers professional and quality birding tours in Sri Lanka since year 2000 for the birding community around the world with varied levels of interest.
We have carefully planned every birding tour to maximize our birding success by visiting as many habitats, altitudinal zones, and local lesser known hideouts as possible while still maintaining a reasonable tour pace.
- It is a fascinating activity for those who love bird watching in the beautiful natural environment.
- Kalametiya is a coastal wetland area that is situated on the picturesque southeastern coast of Sri Lanka with a very rich bio-diversity.
- The Kalametiya area records about 150 species of birds of which 54 are migratory. There are four nationally threatened birds found within the sanctuary – Indian Reef Heron, Glossy Ibis, Sri Lankan Jungle Fowl and Black-capped Purple Kingfisher with Jungle Fowl being the only endemic species.
- Guidance by an experienced birding guide/naturalist makes this even more special and inspiring.
- Ideally located on your way to the famous Yala National Park.
- Opportunity to interact with the local community.
- Preferred Starting Time - 10 a.m
- Lead time - Two days prior notice
- Possible Period - All around the year
- Duration - Two hours
- Arrival and departure transport for any location could be arranged on request for an additional cost
- Services of a local birding guide
- Boat fee
- Bottled water
- Arrival and departure transportation
- Any extra beverages or food consumed
- Any tips to Eco Team representatives
- Any personal effects not mentioned above
- Suitable casual clothing for windy, rainy, warm weather conditions should be considered
- Cameras/video recorders