Lakpura Travels (Pvt) Ltd
Bird watching at Thalangama Wetland
About Bird watching in Thalangama Wetland
Your first encounter with us will be at the meeting point at Talangama junction at 5.45 a.m. or 3.45 p.m. where you will be greeted by our staff prior to the commencement of the nature excursion. You will then be given a short briefing on the safety, terrain and other important aspects with regard to the journey by your naturalist/guide.
You will then be taken to the Talangama wetlands where you will be able to spot an array of exotic birds, dragonflies and butterflies. Sri Lanka’s bird life is nothing short of inspiring and because our tours include a personal naturalist you are guaranteed to be inspired. Here, you might encounter Water Cocks, Eagles, Bee-Eaters, Waders, endemic Purple Faced Leaf Monkeys, Mongoose and Water Monitors as we explore the picturesque Talangama area.
Your nature excursion in Talangama can be organised at any time of the year although the best season for birding in this area is known to be between November and March, due to the migratory season.
The Sri Lanka Day Tours owning company Eco Team’s Specialized Birding Arm offers professional and quality birding tours in Sri Lanka since the year 2000, for the birding community around the world with varied levels of interest. We have carefully planned every birding tour to maximise our birding success by visiting as many habitats, altitudinal zones, and lesser-known local hideouts as possible while still maintaining a reasonable tour pace.
- This is a great nature excursion for those who love birds, dragonflies and butterflies.
- It is in close proximity to Colombo, which makes this an activity that can be done by everyone who passes or stays in Colombo.
- Talangama Lake is one of the best locations close to Colombo to can see a wide variety of colourful birds.
- It’s a walking trail, which gives you the added bonus of providing some exercise.
- Opportunity to interact with the local fishing community.
- Guidance by an experienced birding guide/naturalist makes this even more special and inspiring.
- Preferred Starting Time - Morning 6 a.m. or Evening 4 p.m.
- Meeting point - Talangama junction
- Possible Period - All around the year
- Duration - Half day
- Arrival and departure transport for any location could be arranged on request
- Birding guide/naturalist
- Refreshment and bottled water
- Government tax
- Any extra beverages or food consumed
- Any tips to staff and guides
- Any personal effects not mentioned above
- Suitable casual clothing for windy, rainy, warm weather conditions should be considered
- Cameras/video recorders