Lakpura Travels (Pvt) Ltd
Kirgalpoththa and Thotupola Trek Via Horton Plains
• Nature trail with plenty of wild life and plant life.
• Great views from the peak.
What You Can Expect
You will be meeting up at the Pattipola railway station or Ohiya at 0630 hrs. You can choose the starting point to start your hike at any of the above points. You will get a presentation with the necessary route and safety information. You will be starting your hike at 6:45 am.
You’ll be passing through Horton Plains National Park, a protected area in Pattipola which is one of the most famous tourist destinations of Sri Lanka. The park’s entrance fee is included in your hiking package. The Horton Plains National Park has a variety of mammals such as sambar, chevrotain, wild boar, fishing cat, purple-faced langurs and many others. As one of the Important Bird Areas of Sri Lanka it also has a large numbers of bird species, including some rare and endemic. If you are quiet enough you might get to see some of them. You will also pass through a section of the park with many springs, which mark the birth of some of the largest rivers of the country.
After some time on the trail you will find yourself climbing up Kirigalpoththa. Standing at 2388m tall, it is the second tallest mountain in the country. It is also the tallest mountain in Sri Lanka, which the public are allowed to climb. The entire trek is approximately 7km long and takes about five to six hours to hike. The terrain and weather can be treacherous and cause difficulties, causing one in nine hiker fail in reaching the summit. You will have to pass through bogs, swamps and high undergrowth, and ford over rivers or cross slippery rock surfaces. Do not stray from the trail that your hiking guide leads you on. You will have a qualified first aid officer accompanying you.
You will have breaks every 1.5 km, allowing you to refresh yourself with an energy bar and water. You will be reaching the summit by 1215 hrs. You will be enjoying the panoramic views spread out like a feast for your eyes. After a photograph session you will be having a picnic lunch. The meal is part of your hiking package and will include an authentic buffet style Sri Lankan meal in a village family house.
Once lunch is completed, you will be returning using the same trail that you used earlier. You will be leaving at 1315 hrs. You will be able to return to the trail head by 1730 hrs, completing your hike.
Additional Note – Comfortable walking shoes recommended for this tour.
- Service of an English-Speaking Trekker.
- Refreshments with Water Bottles.
- Lunch (Traditional Local Lunch).
- All Taxes & Service Charges.
- Hotel Pick & Drop.
- Food or Drinks (Not specified above).
- Gratuities (Optional).
- Expenses of Personal Nature.
Cancellation, No Show and Refund Policy
Cancellation must be in writing and sent by you/your travel agent who made the booking. Cancellations take effect from the date the written notice is received. No refund in full or in part will be given for unutilized services in the package(s) once you commence using the product or service.
- Up to 30 days before the Activity-Date – Fixed processing fee of USD 30.00 and the balance will be refunded. In case of a refund to be made via an international bank transfer, all bank fees to be borne by the guest. A refund to the credit card is subject to above processing fee only.
- Less than 30 days and in case of “No Show” – No refunds.
- No refunds will be entertained under whatsoever condition once the guest arrives in Sri Lanka.
- We reserve the right to cancel your holiday because of unforeseen circumstances.