Lakpura Travels (Pvt) Ltd
Bible Rock Hike
The Bible Rock of Sri Lanka, locally named “Bathelegala” is a somber square sentinel that can be seen in the distant mountainous horizon, looming over other rocks and mountains, on the way up or down the Kadugannawa Pass along the Kandy Road.
What You Can Expect
Meet up with your Lakpura Site Adventure Specialist at the Clock Tower, Kegalle at 0630 hrs and proceed to Ussapitiya base station and make preparations for the hike. Afterwards proceed to Base Station 2 for the hike; here you will find parking facilities.
The Bible Rock of Sri Lanka, locally named “Bathelegala” is a somber square sentinel that can be seen in the distant mountainous horizon, looming over other rocks and mountains, on the way up or down the Kadugannawa Pass along the Kandy Road. The rock stands at 2,618 feet above sea level and is considered a landmark that has inspired painters, poets and photographers from times age-old. It was given its name during the time when Ceylon was under British Imperialism, the ‘Bible’ aspect derives from the flat-topped surface of the rock, giving it the resemblance of a lectern.
The 360-degree view from atop the rock is a photographer’s dream. The spectacular view of Asupini Ella, Kadugannawa Pass & Ura Kande, and the surrounding mountains and forests are simply put, breathtaking. On top of being one of the most scenic mountain tops, the biodiversity around Bible Rock ensures that hikers and bird lovers especially get to spot bird species such as the Black Eagle and the Shaheen Falcon; a subspecies of the Peregrine Falcon that is considered the fastest animal in the World. You will have snacks such as energy bars, salted peanuts and sufficient water & re-hydrants drinks on your way up hill. These will keep your energy levels high as you continue your hike up the mountain.
Enjoy a picnic breakfast at the summit inclusive of western and local items. Afterwards, you can explore the caves and the intriguing natural phenomenon on water retention at the summit, and also partake in free climbing activities.
exploring the ancient caves that once sheltered and served as a hideaway for King Valagamba of Anuradhapura (104 BC) when he fled from the Northern Invaders. free climbing is also a must-do activity for those who seek a challenge worth conquering. Apart from that, the wildlife encounters are also something to look forward to. Towards the end of the Hike, enjoy some village hospitality of a refreshing king coconut. The hike will end at approximately 12.30 PM.
- Service of an English-Speaking Trekking Guide,
- 1 baggage porter will be provided. (Additional porters can be arranged for a nominal fee.)
- Picnic Breakfast at the Summit,
- Snacks During the Hike,
- 1.5 Liter Water Bottle Per Person,
- All Taxes & Service Charges.
- Entrance Fees.
- Meals Where not Specified.
- Gratuities (Optional).
- Expenses of Personal Nature.
Cancellation, No Show and Refund Policy
Cancellation must be in writing and sent by you/your travel agent who made the booking. Cancellations take effect from the date the written notice is received. No refund in full or in part will be given for unutilized services in the package(s) once you commence using the product or service.
- Up to 30 days before the Check-In-Date – Fixed processing fee of USD 30.00 and the balance will be refunded. In case of a refund to be made via an international bank transfer, all bank fees to be borne by the guest. A refund to the credit card is subject to above processing fee only.
- 14 days prior to the actual date of tour, only 50% of payment will be refunded.
- Less than 14 days and in case of “No Show” – No Refunds.
- No refunds will be entertained under whatsoever condition once the guest arrives in Sri Lanka.
- We reserve the right to cancel your holiday because of unforeseen circumstances.